Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Tweet Notes Summer Bird Died Of Colic In Japan




The news has yet to be confirmed by American news media, but word came today in a tweet from Paca Paca Farm that Summer Bird died today from a bout of colic. Here's an excerpt from my upcoming 2014 Kentucky Derby Outlook which I will post on my blog sometime next week and I mention Summer Bird in the blog:



The news last week in a tweet from Paca Paca Farm that Summer Bird died from a bout of colic was truly sad. Summer Bird was my pick for the 2009 Kentucky Derby (G1) and Belmont Stakes (G1) and he was the first young colt of importance that I wrote about on my blog. When he was sold to Japan, that was a sad day, too, because that meant only a few of his offspring to would ever contend for the American Triple Crown.
On that note, I’m very anxious to see how a young colt, hip 2538, sold at the 2013 Keeneland September Yearling Sale, will fare as a two year old next year. The young colt, was purchased by agent and trainer Ken McPeek for $30,000 which was a real steal. The day after the purchase, I met Mr. McPeek in the hallway of the sales pavilion and told him that I thought his acquisition of hip 2538 was the shrewdest buy of the sale.
Now named Goo Bird, he’s the first yearling I’ve ever mentioned on my blog as a potential Classic Champion Thoroughbred prospect.
By Summer Bird out of Frost Flower by Sadler’s Wells, Goo Bird definitely has the breeding to be a Classic Champion Thoroughbred. He’s bred on a nick of the Mr. Prospector Ancestral Herd over the Northern Dancer Ancestral Herd and that nick has been the most successful on the Triple Crown Trail producing a total of 12 Classic Champion Thoroughbreds: Drosselmeyer (2010 Belmont), Lookin at Lucky (2010 Preakness), Summer Bird (2009 Belmont), Curlin (2007 Preakness), Street Sense (2007 Kentucky Derby), Jazil  (2006 Belmont), Birdstone (2004 Belmont), Empire Maker (2003 Belmont), Fusaichi Pegasus (2000 Kentucky Derby), Victory Gallop (1998 Belmont), Thunder Gulch (1995 Kentucky Derby & Belmont), Hansel (1991 Preakness & Belmont).
If Goo Bird has any talent at all, Mr. McPeek will give him every opportunity to prove himself on the Triple Crown Trail and I’ll be cheering for this young colt of the fantastic Summer Bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment